August 3, 2013

Subconscious Fear

My motto lately has been Not Letting Fear Lead My Life. 

I believe this will be my motto for the rest of my life as I am constantly battling fear everyday. I don't expect that to go away any time soon. 

Fear of what you might ask? Let me share a few of the things that run through my mind:

  • Fear of failure I think is one every one has
  • I have a fear of staying at home by myself. It's pretty ridiculous actually! I know this but still I struggle every time my husband leaves town.
  • Fear of losing some one I love. 
  • I have a terrible fear of fire. 
Another fear I have come to realize I have lately is a fear of success. Yes I know this sounds crazy but I honestly believe a lot of us have this fear. 

It is not something we are usually conscious of because who really thinks to themselves "I am afraid to be successful and have all that money and satisfaction!" NOBODY!

I believe this fear is subconscious. 

I have been reading a wonderful book called "The Fearless Mind: 5 Essential Steps to Higher Performance" by Craig Manning PhD

This book is actually based on sports... tennis to be exact. But the 5 principles it teaches apply to every situation in life. 
A statement that stood out to me last night was this:

"It has been my observation that people don't really give their dreams a chance. People talk about doing this or that, but few ever give it a go."

This is where I believe the subconscious fear comes in. Let me tell you my example:

I started this blog about 3 months ago. It was honestly something I had to talk myself into doing because it is really out of my comfort zone to share my writing and my personal thoughts with people. But I do not want fear to lead my life anymore so here I am. 

If I had not made this conscious decision to push my fear aside then my subconscious fear of failing at blogging and writing would have won!

Manning goes on to say:

"Research tells us that the few who do give it a go become high performers through perseverance over long periods of time. They maintain their focus on their objectives, set performance objectives they have direct control over, and evaluate their performance regularly --- and ultimately make their dreams reality."

I know that it will be A LOT of work to accomplish my dreams but I do not want to be one of the many that do not pursue them! 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!



 photo keiasig.jpg